Great skin is the outcome of your daily skincare regime and your lifestyle. We all know a balanced daily skincare routine is a good idea. But, with so many skincare products in the market, it’s hard to know where to start and what to use when! Plus, time is hard to come by - no one wants to spend hours in the bathroom.
Here’s everything you need to know to create an easy skincare routine that gets your skin not only cleansed, refreshed, and prepared to face the vagaries of the day but also cared for each night.
CTM consisting of the following three steps is the most basic skincare routine known to most of us.
Cleansing — Washing your face.
Toning — Balancing the skin.
Moisturizing — Hydrating and softening the skin.
However, the goal of any skincare routine should be to achieve healthy skin that is functioning at its best. Therefore, experts recommend the addition of a quick fourth step to nourish and fortify your skin.
Washing your face is the most basic and essential step of any routine. Our skin comes in contact with environmental pollutants, dirt, and other factors each day that should be gently removed. So, wash your face twice a day, morning and night, to avoid clogged pores, dullness, and acne. Never sleep with make-up on!
Look for gentle cleansers without harsh surfactants and synthetic fragrances. The right formula cleanses your skin without stripping essential, healthy oils. You could also try natural options like Cleansing Powders, Cleansing Oils or Cleansing Balms.
Originally a toner was an alcohol-based product that was used to dry up oily skin and remove any leftover dirt following cleansing. Today’s formulas, however, have evolved. Think of them as supplements — these thin liquids deliver an extra shot of hydration, helping the other products in your regimen get absorbed better.
Look for Alcohol-free toners with soothing ingredients like flower waters, Aloe Vera, Green Tea, etc. Toners should be applied after cleansing and before putting on anything else. Most formulas can be used morning and night.
Including this additional step in your daily skincare regime is highly recommended. SERUMS are powerful skin allies.
Filled with concentrated doses of active ingredients, these elixirs can mitigate several issues - from dark spots to wrinkles; promote collagen production, and help with skin cell regeneration. Even if you don’t have any specific issues, everyone still needs a general antioxidant serum in the morning to protect from daily aggressors.
Touted as a pure and natural way to improve your skin, botanical high-performance facial Elixirs— infused with active extracts — have exploded into the mainstream market lately.
Most can be used twice daily, both morning and night. They should be applied after water-based facial serums and gels but before the creams and lotions.
Serums you apply in the morning are equipped to protect your skin from the environmental aggressors you face when you leave the house. Many contain antioxidants to minimize the effect of pollution-based free radicals. They typically have a lightweight consistency.
Night Serums, on the other hand, focus on repairing any damage that the skin may have been exposed to throughout the day. They typically contain ingredients to speed up cellular turnover and counteract dark spots. They also replenish moisture levels which naturally dip in the evening.
The most basic function of a moisturizer is to hydrate and soften the skin. Essentially, moisturizers seal in the hydration and assist in preventing water loss through the outer layers of skin. They also complement the naturally found protective oils and other building blocks within the skin, such as ceramides. Skin loses the ability to retain moisture as we age. Furthermore, daily activities such as washing can strip natural hydrators from the surface. This is one product that experts recommend using year-round, for all skin types, with a built-in broad-spectrum SPF of at least 30 for daytime.
TIPS TO DERIVE MAXIMUM BENEFIT FROM YOUR SKINCARE ROUTINE
1. Give it Time The science behind skincare products has come a long way but there’s still no such thing as an instant fix. You need time to reap the benefits. Results are only seen through consistent use. As a rule, use a product over at least six weeks to notice any difference.
2. As a rule of thumb, apply skincare products in order of consistency — from thinnest to thickest. So, use a cleanser followed by toner, then serum, and finally a moisturizer.
3. Take it easy with exfoliating scrubs (use once a week) and avoid those with crushed walnut shells or abrasive ingredients.
4. Avoid mixing a serum into your moisturizer. This compromises the ability of the serum to get absorbed effectively. Products should be applied one by one for maximum benefit.
5. Apply antioxidant serums in the morning because they give you additional protection from the environment.
6. Switch to skincare products with natural & organic ingredients that are gentle on your skin and don’t harm the environment.
7. Live well… As they say, you can read stress on your face — literally, since high levels of cortisol (a stress hormone) can weaken your skin, bring on acne, and even accelerate wrinkling. So, exercise regularly, sleep well, eat healthy, meditate, and stay positive and happy.
The results will show on your skin!
At NATURE BATHING, we formulate a variety of gentle Cleansers with botanical ingredients, Mists & Toners with pure flower waters, Serums & Elixirs with specialized plant oils, active botanical extracts, and high-performance actives.
Check out our collection @ https://www.naturebathing.in